#VisitMyMosqueCanada is a national initiative facilitated by the The Canadian-Muslim Vote. Mosques across Canada will be welcoming their neighbours from all faiths and those without a faith on Visit My Mosque Day. All Canadians will have the opportunity to learn from other Canadian Muslims in their community, see the inside of a mosque and learn more about the contributions being made by Muslims to Canadian society.
The first ever #VisitMyMosqueCanada day in Canada will be taking place on Sunday October 15, 2017.
Aims of Visit My Mosque
Visit My Mosque day aims to:
- Encourage all mosques in Canada to hold an open day at least once per year
- To allow community relations and community cohesion for the good of society as a whole
- Work for a more enlightened appreciation of Islam and Muslims in the wider society
- Work to reduce misconceptions about Islam and Muslims in Canada
- Celebrate the vast array of charitable, outreach and social action projects performed by mosques in Canada
In essence, Visit My Mosque is about opening a channel for Muslims and non-Muslims to interact, thus building bridges to a stronger Canada / Canadian community. Through Visit My Mosque, we hope that questions are answered and connections are created. A recent Gallup poll has shown that the more likely one is to know a Muslim, the higher chance that person has of expressing more positive feelings towards Muslims as a whole. Visit My Mosque aims to battle Islamophobia by fostering an environment of open communication and engagement.